SQLite Extender (Alpha? Beta?)

Started by JTaylor, May 14, 2020, 08:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTaylor

If you have a clean delimiter the quotes shouldn't be an issue, unless I am misunderstanding?    It will remove the quotes from around the data but it only does this if the first and last characters are quotes.  If it is working as I intended, any quotes in your data should be valid.   Of course, I may have screwed something up.    Does this solve your problem?

I am going to sign off soon.

Jim

Quote from: KeithW on May 27, 2020, 07:27:43 PM
Jim,

The data has "," and embedded " in the file....
I wanted to change the field delimiter to TAB  and the quoting character to "|" in order to get away for the existing issues.

Keith

KeithW

Well when I used "|" as the quoting character, they did not get stripped and ended up in the database.
Why can't that character be redefined?

Keith

JTaylor

Not saying I can't but just want to make sure I understand the need and that it is needed.    It sounds like you are having to change the data to get the | as the "quote" character.  If your data item is enclosed in double-quotes, even if there is an embedded quote, it should remove them correctly and leave the embedded quotes in place.   I just want to make sure it is clear how it is working and that there is a real need for the request because in the handling of CSV files, as I understand them, having quotes that are not "quotes" would be very non-standard and I don't think I have ever seen such an option provided.   Of course, requiring clean field separators might be non-standard as well.   Not saying no, just clarifying whether it is needed.

I am off for the night.

Jim

Quote from: KeithW on May 27, 2020, 07:50:44 PM
Well when I used "|" as the quoting character, they did not get stripped and ended up in the database.
Why can't that character be redefined?

Keith

JTaylor

This allows one to specify a different "quote" character for the CSV import.

http://www.jtdata.com/anonymous/wbsql44i_vm.zip

Jim

KeithW

Jim,

thanx !!  will test in a little bit, working on some client projects for now.

Keith

kdmoyers

I've been tied up rejiggering my business for adding back workers, so I have not had time to participate much here.  But I just want to jump in for a second to say THANKS to Jim for his awesome work here.  Really very much appreciated.

I'm sure I'm going to get excellent use out of this thing.  There are so many cases where I don't necessarily have access to the SQL server (my preference for serious db work) and this will be perfect, and very easy to use.  It's so freakin easy to use, I may start using it for stuff I used to use big fat ini files for.

Question: what should I bear in mind with regard to multiuser access?  I'm assuming I should strictly avoid it. Correct?

-Kirby

The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

JTaylor

Thanks.

I would read about this issue on SQLite's site or other experts.  I don't think I have done anything which would make things better or worse on that front so whatever they say should apply.  If you discover different please let me know and I will put notes in the Help file.

Jim

JTaylor

This version has some (read-only) Recordset emulation capabilities.   Keep in mind this is still Beta(?) with only me testing so be careful of use and let me know of any problems or suggestions.

Wish I could do this with real objects but after much study of documentation and a few tutorials and feeling like I have a slightly less than surface understanding of COM, I still don't know what pieces are required to make it work within an Extender.   Maybe one day...

http://www.jtdata.com/anonymous/wbsql44i_vn.zip

Jim