Web file download

Started by maredzki, August 18, 2023, 01:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maredzki

Hello,
I am looking for input. I've used winbatch years ago and have a problem to solve:
one of the online services is collecting a form on our behalf with a widget that collects photos. The only access to those photos are through a URL. The urls are password protected (one user). I've tried cURL, wget and none of them seem to pass the credentials correctly to get the files downloaded.

Would winbatch be able to do this maybe? What extenders would I need?

I know this is a loaded question but if anyone has any input that would be awesome!

Marek

td

You need to figure out what protocol your website is using for authentication and go from there.  I doubt WinBatch can help you if curl can't unless there is a .Net Framework assembly that supports your mystery protocol.  But it could also be that you not using the correct switches and parameters with curl.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

maredzki

I was afraid that it wouldn't be easy, but it looks like it may be close to impossible to do it in WinBatch. Rats!

td

It may or may not be possible with WinBatch. But it is impossible to determine that without knowing the protocol being used by your site.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Quote from: td on August 21, 2023, 12:31:20 PM
It may or may not be possible with WinBatch. But it is impossible to determine that without knowing the protocol being used by your site.

Stayed away from this hoping the OP would come back with error message, or other info to answer Tony's post.

For my part, in last 6 months have had to work with API's/URL's that require:

• standard credentials
  • credentials but password as plain text
  • username + API token
  • user email + API token
  • user email + account password
  • REST headers and parameters
All that have been worked through communicating with the source, then determining if possible to code.

Perhaps the OP has a situation where credentials are not prompted, or protocol assumed.  But be interested in more information.