Extenders and changing machines

Started by mathia, December 18, 2019, 12:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathia

Is it possible to copy the extenders and help files from one machine to another and have them be recognized? Is there a config file or a registry entry I can transfer to make this work? I am trying to avoid having to install all of them again.

td

The recommended solution is to download and install vcheck along with the WinInet and Zip extenders on your new system.   Then just run the vcheck script to select the extenders you want to have installed.  The vcheck will handle the downloads and installtions for you.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

snowsnowsnow

That said, the answer to the OP's question is: Yes.

I do it all the time - it has always been my standard way of operating.

I don't think I've ever run an Extender "setup" script in my life.

I just unzip the files I need and go.  Or, copy them over from some other system.

td

As previously mentioned, the vcheck script does all the work for you so you don't have to run the setup scripts for the extenders yourself (except for the 2 extenders vcheck uses.)  Currently, the extender setup script does more than just copy files.  Among other things, it modifies existing system files to integrate the extender into the help system and updates WinBatch Studio's syntax coloring files.   It also checks whether or not the extender can be used with the current version of the compiler.  The only time just copying files is the preferred option is if you do not have a current license and therefore cannot use the latest versions of some extenders because they were released after your WinBatch license expired. Which applies in your (snow++'s) case.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade