How to create and send WOL packets (Wake On Lan)

Started by RAK, October 01, 2020, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAK

I have 6 computers in and near my office that I run via RDP for testing data communications systems. I put them to sleep when not in use and often have to wake one or more of them. I know there are plenty of utilities out there but I would like to create the user interface myself.  Anyone know a good method to use with Winbatch? I did find some code I could put in batch files but would rather do it directly in WB.

echo -e $(echo $(printf 'f%.0s' {1..12..}; printf "$(echo $MAC | sed 's/://g')%.0s" {1..16}) | sed -e 's/../\\x&/g') | nc -w1 -u -b 255.255.255.255 4000

thanks
Roy

td

Your sample is a Linux or Unix shell script (bash?) but here is a WinBatch example in the Tech Database:

https://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/nftechsupt.web+WinBatch/Networks~-~Servers+Wake~up~Machine~on~LAN.txt

I am sure there are other WinBatch methods as well.

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

RAK

Thanks! I searched for WOL - guess I should have spelled it out..

Will test later today..

stanl

That is code I used when I was with Dish [circa 2007-2011]. Only difference was I used a .txt file with IP/Mac addresses then read into script to wake up multiple PC's. Worked pretty well.

RAK

Works awesome.
I created a list of machines to select from, a shared folder name for each machine, and a start RDP command.
It sends the packet, waits for the machines' folder to be available on the network, then launches RDP into the machine!

Love it, thanks!