WishList

Started by JTaylor, February 11, 2016, 10:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTaylor

New releases always make me think of the things I wish were included so thought I would reprise a few I think would be VERY useful to many people...at least those who make good use of Dialogs.  Yes, I know these things can be implemented in various ways and I have done so but having the native functionality makes it so much better.

• Currency/Decimal Style for Editboxes.   One can limit to a number but it doesn't handle decimals.   If one needs a decimal one is then stuck having to verify input.
  • Do not count Menu Items against the 300 control limit
  • DateTime Control - Not sure why the calendar control was chosen as the thing to implement since the DateTime Control is so flexible and useful and includes the calendar.
  • Keystroke Event
  • ToolTips
  • EditBox - Limit to Specified number of characters
  • Progress Bar (Don't use this myself but it is a common request)
  • IP Address Control - Again, not something I use but imagine there are those who would find it useful

Would actually like to see all the "Control" options added but know that is unlikely.   Just implementing the controls and events with nothing else would be a huge help.  The rest can be easily handled with API/Extender calls.  Maybe a separate toolbar for the dialog editor with these controls, which is off by default.  This surely wouldn't be a huge resource suck as it only took me about two weeks to implement them in the CommControl extender and that was knowing nothing about creating Extenders and nothing about "C" except a class 25 years ago.   If I knew what I was doing it would probably have been a day or two work at most.

Of course there are many other things but will limit myself to these for the moment  :)

Thanks.

Jim

JTaylor

Forgot something...

Specify MOVE & GROW options for controls on re-sizing.   I have a nice set of UDFs you can use as a model, which I have yet to find a situation that it can't handle.   Having this as a built in Option would be wonderful.

Jim

....IFICantBYTE

I second all that (I use dialogs a lot).

I would really like to see an event/message hook method for all and ANY control or window, especially dialog controls, even ones "hacked" in using dll calls - that way, you can keep all your code in the script and modify it easily (unlike having to create or rely on code in extenders)

Also, the latest visual styles (manifest) for all controls, so they don't look old-fashioned on newer versions of Windows.

Thanks for the latest enhancements though - they are great.
Regards,
....IFICantBYTE

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong. :)