dynamic menu creation

Started by oradba4u, June 07, 2020, 03:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oradba4u

All:

I want to create a dynamic, "unique" menu (each menu item is unique) that gets its items by reading info from a file that may have more than one entry that might be the same. I can't seem to get my head around this (I'm sure it's old age).

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated (and, thanks in advance)

Perplexed in Pittsburgh

td

You need to provide more information about what you are trying to do.  For example, what are you trying to create a menu for?  Is the target a WIL dialog menu, a FileMenu menu, WinBatch Studio menu, PopMenu menu, or something else? Are you having a problem removing duplicates from a file or are you having problems creating the menu or both.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

oradba4u

All I'm asking for is a programmatic solution (i.e. flowchart, pseudo-code?) to what must be a common programming problem...

Not every problem is related to a specific programming language, nor is the method of solution tied to a specific programing method (filemenu, dialog box, etc.) If I knew what method I was going to use to solve this, I might already have a solution in mind, don't you think?

Anyway, thanks for answering the question, with a question...

Guess I'll work it out, eventually.

JTaylor

Okay.  Based on your response to Tony here is some pseudo code...

mitem = ""
While mitem  != "*EOF*"

mitem = ReadFile()

If menu_item(mitem) Exists Continue

Create Menu item

EndWhile

If this doesn't help perhaps answer Tony's question and someone might be able to provide some suggestions.

Jim

td

Quote from: oradba4u on June 08, 2020, 01:35:44 PM
All I'm asking for is a programmatic solution (i.e. flowchart, pseudo-code?) to what must be a common programming problem...

Not every problem is related to a specific programming language, nor is the method of solution tied to a specific programing method (filemenu, dialog box, etc.) If I knew what method I was going to use to solve this, I might already have a solution in mind, don't you think?

Anyway, thanks for answering the question, with a question...

Guess I'll work it out, eventually.

The title at the top of the page is "WinBatch". There are many problems that need solutions but this forum is here to help those with problems related to the title. Also, providing details is not the same thing as providing a method. In fact, thinking about details often help focus the mind and leads to the discovery of a method.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade