Windows 10 Versioning

Started by Russell_Williams, August 04, 2015, 11:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell_Williams

Anyone try getting the version on a Windows 10 system?
It looks to me like it shows a Win 10 as Win 8.1 (2-6-2 / 6.3)

http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/nftechsupt.web+WinBatch/Win8+WinVersion~Issue~With~Windows~8_1.txt

td

That is the case only if you are not using the latest version of WinBatch.  In WinBatch 2015B WinVersion(5) reports Windows 10 as 2-10-0.   MSFT has placed version lying technology into  most versions of Windows since Vista.   You will have to ask MSFT why the do things that way.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

DAG_P6

Quote from: Russell_Williams on August 04, 2015, 11:18:07 AM
Anyone try getting the version on a Windows 10 system?
It looks to me like it shows a Win 10 as Win 8.1 (2-6-2 / 6.3)

I encountered this problem a couple of months ago, when I was developing improvements to a method of identifying the file to which a standard handle was redirected. In the course of my investigation, I found "Part1: Overcoming Windows 8.1's deprecation of GetVersionEx and GetVersion APIs," at http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/678606/Part-Overcoming-Windows-s-deprecation-of-GetVe, and used the information to develop an improved method that returns the true Windows version via RtlGetVersion, a function exported by ntdll.dll (meaning that it's probably supposed to be off limits to user programs).

I suspect that you guys probably did something similar. Nevertheless, it was an interesting expedition deep into the innards of Windows. I don't know that I have ever heretofore called into NTDLL directly, though I have had plenty of programs die there.
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.

td

We are well aware of the RtlGetVersion and have been for a long time...
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

kdmoyers

It seems like MS is trying to eliminate version difference issues by making it difficult to query the version you are on.

Maybe their idea is to force you to program only features that are version independant?

Kirby
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

td

Actually, it has to do with a lot of amateurishly  codded applications causing MSFT a lot of headaches every time they upgrade the OS.   
  - Dr. Tom Cade

DAG_P6

Quote from: td on August 04, 2015, 05:38:18 PM
We are well aware of the RtlGetVersion and have been for a long time...

I thought so. I intended the remark mainly for people who are unable to upgrade for various (typically corporate) reasons.
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.