20 Second delay when running Scripts in Windows 7

Started by IJRobson, March 09, 2015, 10:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IJRobson

I have recently change my development Machine from Windows XP to Windows 7 (x64).

Since I have installed WinBatch onto this Machine when I Run a Script from WinBatch Studio there is a 20 Second Delay before the scripts starts to run?

I have checked Task Manager, in all Users Mode, and it shows CPU at 1% for WinBatch Studio then the Run Icon is Pressed.  The Run Icon becomes grayed out so the system has detected the Run Script request.  Then no CPU usage until the Script runs 20 Seconds Later. 

Any Ideas?

Thanks

td

Can't think of much that could be causing an issue.  I have been using WinBatch Studio on Windows 7 since before the release of the OS and never had the problem.  I don't recall a user ever reporting a problem with the run command either. 

Perhaps if you have installed WinBatch in someplace other than the default location or you are using a very old version of WinBatch, you could be running afoul of UAC.  UAC may (or may not) cause protracted delays when an executable is unmanifested/unsigned or is not being launched from a protected directory when it is properly manifested and signed.

If you are using anti-malware software, you could try disabling it or adding the several WinBatch related exes to the exception list.  This would at least eliminate a wayward anti-malware program as the culprit.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

IJRobson

Thanks for your reply.

The Version I am using is 2014B so not the most recent by still not old.

One thing you mentioned was about the Install Location and in my case this was different from the Default Install Location.  I have reinstalled WinBatch but this time using the Default Install Location and now I don't have this delay so I guess the issue was something to do with the UAC / protected directories?

Either way all working now.

Thanks

td

System tool based observations do appear to support the idea that the UAC validation mechanism causes some extra processing and therefore a delay in execution when a "uiAccess=TRUE" manifested executable is launched from an unprotected directory.  However, to the best of my knowledge Microsoft has never provided any information that documents or explains this behavior so the observations cannot be interpreted as a demonstration of an indisputable fact.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade