Files Commands no more running on WB2020A

Started by Leon Evain, July 27, 2020, 07:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon Evain

Hello,

It seems that starting more or less two weeks ago the File Commands are on error : Filecopy, FileRename, Filedelete...  "The operation wasnt successful"

This appeared on scripts active for many years,  today with Winbatch 2020A

I rerun the script on a backup system, same errors

Main system is running W10 Family 1909  2019, may, 21th  18363.959
Bup system is running  W10 Family 2004  2020, june, 11th  19041.388

Just to tell you that I use to run CCleaner, ADWcleaner, Avast, Malwarebyte

Not yet reinstalled Winbatch

Hope to find a solution

Kind Regards

Leon

td

WinBatch does not have an error with the text "The operation wasnt successful".  Could you be a bit more specific? The WIL error number and the system error number if they exists would be useful.  System error numbers are generally displayed by selecting the "More Error Info" button on the WIL error message box.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

Provided that you have not upgraded WinBatch nor made any changes to your scripts, the by definition the root-cause of the problem is the result of a change in your runtime environment.

The most likely suspect is that some kind of anti-malware product is now blocking file system operations performed by WinBatch as it executes the script code.

The next most likely suspects are that something has changed w/respect to your UAC elevation level, group memberships that granted the necessary file system access rights, or actual changes in the assigned file system permissions.

td

The OP mentioning two anti-malware programs so that raised my suspicions of an anti-malware cause as well and the permissions/group/group policy cause is always there.  But a WIL and system error, if they exist, would still be useful.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Leon Evain

Hello

Many Thanks for your quick replies,

This morning everything ran normally as years before, mystery of Computer Sciences, perhaps Avast killed the Covid virus ...

No major update this night except MS Defender Database Update and run

As you told, it is probably relative to Malware apps, seems to have locked files/directories ?  Surprisingly I ran these malware apps for years too !

Every next week, I'll check one malware app after the other and see what happens
I'll try to trace every possible update and malware runs.

If errors, I'll send back Error codes to you

Once again, thks for your help

The best from Paris, France where the summer is wonderful

Best regards.

Leon

td

Anti-malware software programs tend to update their signature databases on a daily basis. It is always possible for the updates to introduce or expose a bug in the software or the updated database may be buggy in some fashion. Such issues are sometimes caught and possibly fixed with another update.  It doesn't happen very often but it has been known to happen.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Leon Evain

Thanks for your explanation

I'll try to monitor this

This morning, WB scripts ran perfectly
Probably no more than a night Defender update

Have a nice day

Leon Evain

Finally I found the culprit

As supposed, the Antivirus app locked exe files which are going to updates other files

Along the day, an Avast window suddenly emerged and requested agreement to lock some files.
It appears that their Antiransomware agent requested access to lock WB exe files

Finally in Avast / Menu / Parameters, I'd just to declare that WinBatch.exe is authorized to update files.

That's it

If this can help somebody

Have a nice day.

Leon