Troubleshooting "wiki"?

Started by oradba4u, September 16, 2020, 05:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oradba4u

All:
Sorry if this sounds stupid... Does anyone out there have any knowledge of the existence of an app that acts like a troubleshooting wiki?

For example, if I'm a "greenhorn" (no experience but newly hired) electronics technician, and I've been assigned to bench test/troubleshoot an electronic device (an IoT device for example) but I have little/no experience with troubleshooting techniques, IoT troubleshooting knowledge, etc., I want to be able to go to an app (AI, database?) that can guide me through my troubleshooting methodology, including past symptoms/remedies that other technicians have encountered and used to fix this Iot. (Could be any IoT device from smart microwaves to SCADA PLC's)

Originally, this "wiki" will be empty, until technicians start populating it with detailed information (model, symptoms, error messages, etc. and what they did to fix the problem). I guess you could call it a troubleshooting database.

Is there commercially available S/W out there (or better still open source s/w) or is this an in-house project for WinBatch? Most of what I see online has to do with troubleshooting Windows, or networks or USB, etc... I'm looking for something else.

Anybody with knowledge (NO PUN INTENDED) in this area?

Thanks in advance...

kdmoyers

I have some experience with general purpose wikis, and could offer a few bits:

1 - Dokuwiki is free and excellent, but requires some doinking around to get set up.  A zillion people have done it though, so there is lots of help around the internet.

2 - Wiki's are VERY MUCH driven by the initiative of the people.  Unmotivated people = crappy wiki.  You have to sell the people on it or it won't work. And you have to keep selling the wiki over time because there is a honeymoon effect. The key is making the wiki RELEVANT in their work lives.

3 - Over time, your wiki can grow to be the most valuable thing your company owns.

$0.02
-Kirby
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

oradba4u

Yeah, I can definitely see the importance of a good wiki. I'll check it out and thanks for the input.