Wouldn't it be nice...? (WB for Mac)

Started by snowsnowsnow, December 31, 2013, 11:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowsnowsnow

(I think I posted this general question some time back, but with a slightly different orientation)

I wish there was WinBatch for the Mac.  As far as I can tell, there is no really general purpose automation tool for the Mac.  By general purpose, I mean with Sendkeys and such.  I often wonder if it would be at all possible for WWW to develop something for the Mac.

Note that all the tools that I've seen for the Mac seem to be like COM/OLE automation on the PC - that is, it requires the app to support it (and for you to know how it is supporting it).  There doesn't seem to be any general SendKeys, Window Title checking, etc.  All the good stuff that makes me love WinBatch.

td

Assuming you are referring to OS X and not some Apple OS from the last century, I can say with a bit of confidence that WinBatch will not be ported to OS X in the foreseeable future. 
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

snowsnowsnow

Quote from: td on January 02, 2014, 08:09:12 AM
Assuming you are referring to OS X and not some Apple OS from the last century, I can say with a bit of confidence that WinBatch will not be ported to OS X in the foreseeable future.

Yes, I was referring to OSX.

And, alas, that is a shame.

(Whimper, whine...)

It really is a shame that there doesn't seem to be any real automation tools for OSX ("real" in the way that I define it...)

P.S.  Why did you say "If I meant OSX, then..." ?  Does that imply that you do have a version for "old Mac OS" ? (heh heh- just kidding)

td

Actually, there are a few #ifdef _MAC's scattered about in some of the old source code.  I have no knowledge of their history, however.   
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

DirkM

That's too bad since I'm waiting for (wishing for) WB for OS X as well. I manage about 4000 Windows computers with Winbatch and avoid MS products wherever possible. Now there are more and more Macs showing up here and there and while JSS/Casper is a good start, it doesn't really integrate with what I have created with Winbatch on Windows. RealBasic might be an option but it's not as easy as Winbatch. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would pay even double or triple for a OS X version of Winbatch if that allows me to skip learning Xcode, RealBasic or bash scripting in Casper.

snowsnowsnow

QuoteI'm sure I'm not the only one that would pay even double or triple for a OS X version of Winbatch if that allows me to skip learning Xcode, RealBasic or bash scripting in Casper.

Here, here!!

td

I always kinda liked the bash shell.  Can't say that I ever used it OS X though.
  - Dr. Tom Cade