Loss of Clipboard Tricks/Unable to initialize surrogate service

Started by Gregory Miller, November 13, 2014, 09:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Miller

I just purchased and installed WinBatch+Compiler.  This installation has caused some issues with windows explorer.  When right-clicking files the 'Unable to initialize surrogate service' error popup message is shown, and the hour-glass remains.  Additionally, I have also lost the beloved right-click feature of 'Clipboard tricks' (sadness galore!).  I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.  Can you help me out here?  Thanks, Gregory

td

First, you did install 2014B correct?  If not, you need to install 2014B.  Second, if you did install 2014B then you need to make sure that you let the install go to completion and you rebooted after the install. 

If you did do the above then you should try an uninstall-reinstall.  Making sure you let the installation completely finish and then reboot your system. Do the reboot even if the install does not prompt you for a reboot.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Gregory Miller

All is well after uninstalling, reboot, installing, reboot.  I believe if I had uninstalled first there would not have been any issues.  Thanks, Gregory

td

We haven't had any reports of problems with FileMenu because of installing over an older version.  Out of an abundance of curiosity, which version of WinBatch did you originally install over?
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Gregory Miller

I installed over 2013B.  Oh, and yes, I installed 2014B of WinBatch+Compiler.

td

You will like 2014B  but your FileMenu problem will have to remain a mystery for now.  Out of the many users that have installed 2014B, you are the only user that has reported the problem. 
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Gregory Miller

No problem, it is fixed and I'm on my way!  Regards, Gregory

dblaze1

I have this happen from time to time but after the message is displayed, I can access the menu fine.  It does it infrequently so it's not an issue.  I'm on 2014A Winbatch & Compliler running Windows 7 Professional.

td

The problem you describe is different than the OP's and was addressed in 2014B.  Basically, we changed FileMenu to use the 64-bit WIL DLL on 64-bit systems.  In versions previous to  2014B, 64-bit FileMenu thunked to the 32-bit DLL.  Your intermittent problem was caused by the extra time needed to startup a process, do the data conversions and make RPC calls when the systems was a little bit busy doing some background processing. 
  - Dr. Tom Cade