Scroll wheel in WinBatch Studio

Started by jrball, April 19, 2021, 05:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrball

I guess this would be a feature request:  Winbatch Studio does not respond to the scroll wheel on my mouse!  It would be very handy when editing a longish script.  Please?  Thanks!

td

It is not likely a WinBatch Studio problem if you are referring to vertical scrolling. My mouse scroll wheel works just fine with WinBatch Studio and WinBatch Studio is written to respond to Windows scroll messages.  WinBatch Studio does not respond to the horizontal scroll when the wheel is tilted if that is what you mean. Don't know if that is much of an issue because the size and resolutions of modern monitors have rendered the use for text-based editing mostly unecssary.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

There are still smaller screen laptops & tablets in use, both newer models and older models, with screen diagonal sizes ranging from 12.5" to 13.5".  In some ways, the newer ones can exacerbate the issues associated with a smaller screen due to a smaller pixel size and greater screen resolution in the same area.  The way to compensate for the inevitably unreadable small text is to make font sizes larger, and that can then lead to less usable screen real estate such that horizontal scrolling could be a necessity in situations where an external monitor cannot be attached for use as a secondary display.

Based on personal experiences, I can say that I'd have benefited from horizontal scrolling via left/right tilting of the mouse wheel.

td

Very familiar with the high resolution screens that require high DPI scaling. I have high resolution monitors on my workstation and on the display on my laptop - love them both because of the increased font crispness and contrast. However, WinBatch Studio is primarily a WIL language programming tool and WIL does not often lend itself to long line length if you follow sound coding practices. I have never had any need to scroll horizontally in WinBatch Studio.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

I should mention that my laptop has a touch-screen. Never liked touch-screens. I always thought of them as a not very useful gimmick but the manufacturer of my current unit has finally got it figured out. Just wish my phone work as well.  Anyway, I seldom have a need for a mouse or the unit's touchpad.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

touch screens are great when you frequently have to respond to a UAC elevation prompt.  I have a permanent fingertip smudge in the center of my display from ack'ing the elevation prompts.

td

That's the downside of touchscreens. The gorgeous high dpi display gets covered with smugs.
  - Dr. Tom Cade