WinBatch on Windows 11

Started by oradba4u, June 27, 2021, 04:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oradba4u

ALL:
I have a WinBatch app that is pretty involved (uses a lot of WinBatch features) that I have been tweeking for 5-6 years. It works fine, but I'm constantly adding new features, etc.

Recently got a copy of Windows 11 (pre-release) and installed it on Oracle VirtualBox.

Happy to announce that the app runs smooth as silk on the Windows 11 release. Testament to WinBatch working fine in the future with "anything" Microsoft throws its way!

F-Y-I, I ran my program in Oracle VirtualBox 6.1.22 on an Intel I7 2016 Laptop with TPM 2.0 running Windows 10 64-bit as the host.

Happy in Helena

td

Based on Windows 11 reviews and previews so far Window 11 is little more than one of MSFT's regular bi-annual Windows 10 feature updates with one big exception. It will require a 64-bit processor that supports TPM 2.0 which eliminates most Intel/AMD processors built before 2019.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Quote from: td on June 28, 2021, 07:24:44 AM
It will require a 64-bit processor that supports TPM 2.0 which eliminates most Intel/AMD processors built before 2019.

for what, specifically?

td

Assuming that by "for what" you are asking about the purpose of the MSFT's limitation on Windows 11 processors. The answer is simple. Security.

[edit] To be clear the processor limitation is the result of an MSFT requirement for at least an eighth-generation Intel processor or an AMD processor from no earlier than 2019.  Intel eighth generation processors were generally available at the beginning of 2018. So if you have an Intel machine with a processor that dates back to 2018 you may be OK as it can be an eighth generation or newer.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Thanks Tony. From what I have read you can use WMI and for Intel detect the 'generation' by the first number after the i5....i7 -  so Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz would be 7th generation. Not so sure a generation number works for AMD.  So would my old AMD A10-575OM APU be 5th generation? 

td

Not answering your question directly but MSFT "clarified" the requirements today.  They now say 7th generation Intel processors can run Windows 11. Generally, "all Windows 11 supported CPUs have an embedded TPM, support secure boot, and support VBS and specific VBS capabilities."

A description of VBS can be found here:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/virtualization/virtualization-based-security-enabled-by-default/ba-p/890167

hint: It has nothing to do with the similarly named scripting language.

And I believe you are correct about the Intel CPU generation indicator.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html
  - Dr. Tom Cade

oradba4u

Gentlemen:
Microsoft still doesn't know what machines it will allow Windows 11 to run on as explained in the video presented by a very reliable source... Steve Gibson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-_WlcFS50
Start the video at 1:00:30

jmburton2001

Quote from: oradba4u on July 02, 2021, 02:37:03 PMStart the video at 1:00:30

Interesting tidbit:

Youtube has the capability of generating a link that starts a video at the user's desired start point. In this case it's...

https://youtu.be/WT-_WlcFS50?t=3630

This link can be easily generated by clicking on the "Share" link and checking the box "Start at HH:MM:SS" and then clicking the "Copy" link.

It magically transports the reader to the point of interest!  8)

td

Quote from: oradba4u on July 02, 2021, 02:37:03 PM
Gentlemen:
Microsoft still doesn't know what machines it will allow Windows 11 to run on as explained in the video presented by a very reliable source... Steve Gibson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-_WlcFS50
Start the video at 1:00:30

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Gibson but he is not reporting anything that isn't publicly available for those that choose to look.  The point was not that anyone (including MSFT) knows but they are clearly contemplating restricting the systems that the OS is running on.   MSFT has 6 months or so to screw this up so no one would be so foolish to claim they know the final status of the "new" OS.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

oradba4u

Just trying to show an experts input on the whole windows 11 debacle

ChuckC

Just to muddy up the waters a bit, I ran across this article this morning...

https://betanews.com/2021/07/03/registry-hack-bypass-tpm-windows-11/

td

Six months is a lot of time in MSFT years...
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

Indeed, it is.  It's quite possibly running in fruit fly cycles :P

On the upside of things, it looks like the Raspberry Pi 4 can run Windows 11.

td

That would make testing ARM targeted WinBatch easy and cheaper (not that we are or are not planning to do that.) Otherwise, I think I will stick with Debian Linux.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Should add that support for ARM-based devices is not new to Windows 11. If memory servers, Windows 10 has had ARM versions of one kind or another since at least 2017. And of course, there was the now defunct Windows Mobil OS. Microsoft is also releasing or has released an affordable platform for porting applications to ARM-based Windows 10 a la Apple's Developer Transition Kit for its M1 chip.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

MSFT has finally released the first official beta version of Windows 11 through the Windows insider program . They also made clear in a newly released Microsoft Q&A video that you won't be able to cheat the requirements by using group policy (registry) settings. At least that is how it stands for now...

They are also saying that they will monitor how well  7th Gen Intel and AMD Zen 1 CPUs work during the beta. This suggests that they may not support those systems in the final release.

Here is a link to the beta announcement post:

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/07/22/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-100/
  - Dr. Tom Cade

kdmoyers

(This thread captures some of the best info I have seen on this topic. Thanks!)
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

stanl

For what it's worth, there is a book out for a Win 11 User guide. It will be 64bit only but 32bit programs should have no issues running. It is built for Intel 8th generation but supposedly Microsoft made exceptions for Intel 7th-generation and the AMD Ryzen 1000 series CPU.

Requirements:

• Modern 1Ghz 64-bit
  • 4GB Ram
  • 64GB Drive
  • 9-in display
  • 1366x788 resolution
  • UEFI, Secure Boot and TMP 2.0 (compatible)
  • DirectX 12 graphic

td

As I mentioned before the current release is a beta and there is no guarantee that the final release will support Intel 7th-generation Intel processors. 
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Quote from: td on August 01, 2021, 09:16:03 AM
As I mentioned before the current release is a beta and there is no guarantee that the final release will support Intel 7th-generation Intel processors.

Yeah, so don't get the book. What you don't know, can't hut you :-\

td

So don't read MSFT developer's blog posts...

And remember that one of the reasons Vista was such a disaster was that MSFT made the "official" minimum requirements unreasonably low so PC manufacturers could paste Vista Compatible on their boxes without having to change much.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

I guess for Win 11 we are all unvaccinated. :-X