Winbatch with a local DB

Started by edmoran, November 05, 2014, 01:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edmoran

I'd like to setup a simple local database to run with Winbatch.  I've already done ODBC connections but now I'm looking to do something that is all self contained.  Products like FoxPro have their own databases.  Could Winbatch do similar local databases?

JTaylor

SQLLite might be something to look at.

Jim

stanl

or just use fabricated recordsets, easy to create with just the MDAC drivers which come with windows; can be updated, sorted, filtered and placed in Excel.

I wrote the below in 2003 but it gives the general idea.

http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/tsleft.web+WinBatch/OLE~COM~ADO~CDO~ADSI~LDAP/OLE~with~XML+XML~Recordset~Primer.txt

edmoran

There is a lot to chew on in that article but it seems like that is what I'm looking for.  I just have to understand it.  I'm diving in to try it.  Thanks.

Quote from: stanl on November 06, 2014, 07:11:47 AM
or just use fabricated recordsets, easy to create with just the MDAC drivers which come with windows; can be updated, sorted, filtered and placed in Excel.

I wrote the below in 2003 but it gives the general idea.

http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/tsleft.web+WinBatch/OLE~COM~ADO~CDO~ADSI~LDAP/OLE~with~XML+XML~Recordset~Primer.txt

edmoran

Getting back on this discussion.  Why did support for the LAFFDB Extender stop?  Will it still work if I try to include it today?

Ed

td

Quote from: edmoran on January 29, 2015, 02:20:16 PM
Getting back on this discussion.  Why did support for the LAFFDB Extender stop? 

Simple answer is that it was too unreliable.

Will it still work if I try to include it today?

Don't know the answer to that one.  No users have asked any questions about it until now for quite some time.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

edmoran

So is the only option to go with XML at this time?  What about SQLite.  Will it work with Winbatch ok?

I think that Winbatch has been EVERYTHING for me for so many years.  But lacking true database functionality puzzles me.  I would think that many people would have  such needs to make more robust utilities.  That would make them true applications.

JTaylor

Yes.  It will work.  Haven't done a lot but enough to know it works.

Not sure what you mean by "true database functionality".   I have used WinBatch with MSSQL Server, Sybase, Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLLite, Access and probably some other databases.   What other language does what you are wanting here that WinBatch doesn't do?

Jim

JTaylor

To follow up....what features do you need?   If security isn't a real concern and your searching needs are very modest perhaps a delimited text file and using the Array functionality would work???

Jim

DAG_P6

Other options worth considering, all of which I have used from time to time, include XML documents, especially for data that has a naturally hierarchical structure, private profile (INI) files for simpler two-level hierarchies, and a flat file, about which I cannot find my notesat the moment; they may be in an archive.
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.

stanl

edmoran

I have used Winbatch before with SQL.  That works fine.

But what I was looking for was built in local database functionality.  If anyone is familiar with FoxPro, that is what I am thinking about.  Foxpro can parse files just like Winbatch but it can also import it into a local DB file to do sorting, etc, of records easier.

I will play around with XML and arrays.  Also I'll try mysql and even the defunct laffdb extender.

JTaylor

I'd forgotten about those type of products....I would still recommend SQLLite or a fabricated recordset (as Stan recommended) as good options unless you have tried them and dismissed them for some reason.   It will keep things simple but allow you to keep with the SQL form of processing.

I would recommend avoiding the LAFFDB extender...can't see that being a good solution for you.

Jim

edmoran

fabricated recordset.  Can you elaborate?

JTaylor

Didn't you reply to Stan early in this conversation that you were reading the article he posted?  I would refer you back to the beginning of the conversation and the links Stan posted.   He's the expert on Fabricated Recordsets.

Jim

edmoran

Yes of course.  I had to re-read the beginning of the thread.  Thanks.