FileMenu Error: "Too many items defined for current application" — Fix Requested

Started by Wordhewer, January 30, 2015, 10:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wordhewer

WinBatch: Ver. 2011-A
P.C.: Temporarily using old Pentium-II with Win XP SP2

I've had this installed for several years. A couple of months ago, an occasional error started to happen *every* time I right-click on a filename in Explorer, for the custom FileMenu context entries. The error reads, "Too many items defined for current application".

However, this never happens when I right-click on more than one highlighted filename.

That dialogue usually dismisses itself, and two more come up, quickly, complaining about unexpected entries or indentation problems in the FileMenu code files, which have been thoroughly checked, and work fine with multiple files.

Can anyone kindly offer a solution?

// Word //

td

The error "Too many items defined for current application" is not a FileMenu error.  It is likely coming from so other shell extension.  You might want to review any resent software installs for shell extensions.  Shell extensions don't necessarily add items to context menus but can still not play nice with existing extensions that do and software setup programs can install extensions without ever explicitly saying so.

NirSoft makes a free, handy tool for resolving shell extension conflicts.  It is called 'ShellExView' and can be found here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade