Singing in to home server

Started by radioman54, January 14, 2016, 06:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radioman54

Prior to upgrading to Windows 10 my PC would always connect to my home server automatically but after the upgrade I have to manually sign-in in order to use any of the files on the server. Even though I enter my username and password and tell it to save them,  it doesn't. Is there any way that I can use WinBatch to get the server recognized on my PC without manually logging in each time I boot my computer?

td

Why not use Control Panel's Credential Manager to set the credentials to use with the server's shares?
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

radioman54

I have but it still doesn't sign in.

td

Using the Credentials manager has always worked on my Win 10 systems.  I have read that you will need to always supply a password, if you don't have the 'Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections option selected but have no first hand experience with that.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

radioman54

The username and password are supplied.

td

You appear to have misunderstood. Probably because of my bad choice of terms.  By 'supply a password',  I meant that you have to physically type in the password, i.e.,  Windows will not use the stored credentials.

Another alternative is to enable the guest account on the Windows 10 system but MSFT thinks that is a security risk.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

radioman54

Windows 10 is a piece of trash. Sorry  I ever upgraded.

td

Windows 10 is not one of my favorite operating systems either but you should be able to access remote shares without having to manually type in credentials every time.  I am able to do that on both home and work servers using Windows 10. 
  - Dr. Tom Cade

radioman54

I have tried everything but nothing works.

td

- Dr. Tom Cade

radioman54

I do have an account setup on the server that uses the same username and password as my Windows 10 box. From Windows 95 up to Windows 7 it has always logged in automatically. The upgrade to Windows 10 has stopped that. If I want to access the server files for my account I have to manually sign-in to the server each time I want to access a file. It doesn't even keep the link after the first sign-in.

td

As previously mentioned it requires more than just having an account setup and it does work if setup properly.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

radioman54

So how do I set it up properly?

td

Can't tell you other than to offer the number one rule of problem solving - check your assumptions.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

While doing my regular morning reading I happened across an article on Windows 10 network file sharing problems and a way to fix them.  Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall so I can't post a link here.  But essentially when all else fails, the article suggests that because of bugs in all versions of Windows you may need to force all Windows systems on the network to forget their network settings.  This involves uninstalling the network drivers on all systems and then starting with Windows 10 system rebuild the network from scratch. 

Never tried it so I can't recommend it.     
  - Dr. Tom Cade

radioman54

That sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

td

It isn't all that hard if you don't let the uninstall delete the drivers but you do need to re-enter specific network  settings on Windows 10 to avoid creating the same problem.   

But it's your problem and your choice.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

radioman54

I don't know enough about the settings to deal with making the changes so I'll just sign-in manually.