A WBT Script that installs as a Windows Service does NOT install on Windows 10

Started by automate, November 14, 2016, 09:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

automate

I have been using Winbatch for over a decade now and currently have an active maintenance subscription for WinBatch 2016B (WinBatch + Compiler).

There is a WinBatch script that gets installed as a Windows Service and it has been working fine all these years against Windows XP, 7, 2003 Server, and 2008 Server R2, but I am unable to even install that on Windows 10, which is the currently employed OS at my organization.

Question: Do I need to make any special configuration changes to enable the script referenced below to install and run on Windows 10?

Attachment: Attached is an extremely simple script whose only job is to be installed as a Windows Service. I have used this extensively as a template for all my automation but today, when I clicked on the "Install Service" button, it failed to install the service and gave a message with a return code of 530. I researched online and found that 530 might indicate that a reboot is required and I tried rebooting my machine and retried installing the script, but it still failed with the same error.

Thanks in advance.

td

The single most common issue with Windows 10 seems to be that users forget that by default UAC split admin tokens aren't turned off just because the Windows UAC settings slider is set at 'Never notify'.  Also, which function is producing the the 530 error?   
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Based on your email message to Tech Support, it appears that the wntSvcCreate function is producing the 530 error.  The text associated with that error is 'Access denied' which you didn't see because of your script's ErrorMode setting.  As Marty used to say about debugging with ErrorMode off  "will turn a 5 minute debugging project into a 6 week project."   

So the short answer is compile your exe script with Settings->Requested Execution Level = requireAdministrator.  That should hopefully fix the problem.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

- Dr. Tom Cade