FileMenu for ALL filetypes.mnw

Started by George Vagenas, April 17, 2014, 12:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Vagenas

I have placed a link to FileMenu.exe in my Startup folder but I still don't see this reflected in the Explorer context menu.  I'm running 64bit Windows 7.
Thanks

George

Deana

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by placing filemenu.exe in your startup folder?

What version of WinBatch are you running?  IMPORTANT: You will need WinBatch 2009C or newer if running on Windows 7. The WinBatch FileMenu shell extension now works with 64-bit Explorer on 64-bit versions of Windows and is no longer dependent on the 32-bit Explorer(old filemenu.exe) on 64-bit systems.
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

George Vagenas

I'm running 2013b and this is from the help file.

"System Requirements
FileMenu requires a version of Windows supporting the 32 bit Windows Explorer.

On 64-bit platforms you can run the provided "filemenu.exe" to run the correct version of Windows Explorer.

Installation
FileMenu DLL is installed during the normal setup of WinBatch.

On 64-bit platforms "FileMenu.exe" installed to the Start Menu."

I got here because "FileMenu for ALL filetypes.mnw" menus were not showing up in Windows Explorer or Powerdesk, an enhanced file manger, and I tried to resolve it using the WIL help file.  I'll remove remove filemenu.exe from my Startup folder just in case the problem has fixed itself. (I'm in the process of migrating from XP to Win7x64 and updating drivers, etc.)

Thanks

George

Deana

It appears the FileMenu documentation is outdated and needs to be updated. Starting in WinBatch 2010B the FileMenu Shell Extension now works with 64-bit Explorer on X64 versions of Windows and is no longer dependant on the 32-bit Explorer on 64-bit systems.

Make sure that you are only right-clicking on files not directories. The context menus only appear when you right-click on a file (but not a folder) in the Windows Explorer.
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

George Vagenas

May be excessive but I have three file managers on my system and none of them show the "FileMenu for ALL filetypes.mnw items."  And yes I made sure I was clicking on a file and not a folder.
Thanks

George

Deana

I am wondering if a corrupt shell extension if causing the Filemenu to NOT load...

Recommendations to help identify the problematic shell extension:

Using ShellExView freeware tool to determine the Context-menu causing the problem. ShellExView (by Nir Soft) is an excellent tool to view and manage all installed shell extensions. If available, it displays the description, as well as version details, company information, location, file name and more. You can optionally disable/enable any item, which can be very useful to disable an extension, that you don't need or that has been left behind in your right click menu from a previous software install.

[ http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html ]

Steps:

Download ShellExView from www.nirsoft.net and run it.
    Sort the results using 'Type' column, so that the context menu handlers are displayed together.
    Start to disable each of the non-Microsoft context menu handlers one by one(requires reboot) and verify if the problem is solved.
    If disabling one does not solve the problem, undo the disabled item and disable the next non-Microsoft handler.
    Do the same until the problem is solved and finally identify the culprit. Scroll right to see the Company Name column in ShellExView.

Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

George Vagenas

Not to do things by half I selected all the non-MS context menus, disabled them and rebooted. No change, FileMenu items are not being displayed.
Thanks

George

Deana

Try renaming the filemenu for all file types to .bak, then re-install winbatch, reboot and test the right click context menu in Windows explorer.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please post a copy of the file menu for all files.mnw and export the HKCR \*\shellex\contextmenuhandlers and post them here. I will take a look to see if I see anything that may be causing an issue.
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

George Vagenas

Thanks

George