Say goodbye to the MS-DOS command prompt| Impact on WinBatch?

Started by rickmds, December 09, 2016, 05:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmds

Hi
The article in the link below indicates that with Windows 10 DOS will be making its exit.  I am guessing that a fair number of functions in WinBatch rely on DOS. Thoughts on ramifications?

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3147668/operating-systems/say-goodbye-to-the-ms-dos-command-prompt.html?ref=yfp

Thanks
Rick

td

There are NO functions in WinBatch that rely on DOS.  The supposed demise of MS-DOS will have not effect on WinBatch.

One interesting side effect is that "Microsoft Powershell is becoming a haven for malicious code, with a 95.4 per cent rise in malware instances, according to Symantec."
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

After having read that article, I find it unsurprising that the author, who claims to have been writing about DOS for 30 years fails to make the proper distinction between the actual o.s and the command line shell interface... e.g. DOS vs. COMMAND.COM, nor the distinction between COMMAND.COM and CMD.EXE.  That seems to be a common failing as far as "technical writers" and "technology pundits" go... very few of them have ever actually written any code with functionality that goes beyond "Hello World" and are severely challenged when it comes to deeper knowledge of the subject matter that they are writing about...

td

I still try to type 'ls' at a Windows command shell prompt.  Now that MSFT has integrated bash into Windows 10, I will likely start typing 'dir' at the bash command prompt...
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

snowsnowsnow

Editor's note: After this article was published, Microsoft issued a statement clarifying that cmd.exe will not be going away after all. Read Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols' follow-up column.

rickmds

Thanks for the feedback on this post!

The MS clarification stating that CMD would still be part of Windows is in the article link below.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3149115/operating-systems/follow-up-ms-dos-lives-on-after-all.html

td

The rumors concerning the demise of the Windows command-line shell prompt (cmd.exe) have been circulating on the Internet for a little less than a month.  Primarily this has been because some of the resent pre-view builds of Windows 10 came with just the PowerShell command-line shell and no cmd command-line shell.   This, of course, lead to the usual jumping off of cliffs and circular source attribution that is the norm in the post-fact world of the Internet.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

snowsnowsnow

JTaylor