Change the password on scheduled tasks

Started by dblaze1, April 25, 2014, 01:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dblaze1

Our new security policy states we much change the password of scheduled tasks more frequently than we currently do.  All scheduled tasks run under a couple of different domain accounts.  Is there a way to do this via Winbatch?  We have 2 primary servers that run all scheduled tasks - one is Windows 2003 server and the other is Windows 2012 server.  If we had to do it by hand, it would only take a half hour or so but it would be nice to automate it.

Thanks,
Doug 

Deana

Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

DAG_P6

A few months ago, I had a similar requirement, for which I applied the same general approach. Although I implemented it in C#, it used the Task Scheduler COM object through COM Interop. On Windows XP, it worked splendidly. However, I ran into many issues on Windows 7, and took a different approach, using schtasks.exe and a XML file that contained all of my settings.

There are two issues at play.

• XML works great for Windows Vista and later, but is unsupported by the XP version of SchTasks.exe.
  • The object model in Windows Vista and beyond is substantially different than the object model for XP, which is pretty sparse.

Based on experience with XP, Server 2003, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2012, I would expect anything that was an issue for Windows 7 to be an issue for Server 2012, and that anything that applies to XP is generally, though not always, equally applicable to Windows Server 2003.
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.