Spinners Checkboxes and "Handles"

Started by oradba4u, March 09, 2015, 09:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oradba4u

Hi:

Is there some place I can go to get a simple education about Spinners, and checkboxes?

I have spent HOURS pouring over the manuals, and this website, but I still don't get it!

All I want to do is read the values of 3 spinners, 3 checkboxes, and pass these values to another winbatch program.

The WIL language reference manual is little or no help, but I'm getting the idea... SLOWLY

And BTW.. For the inexperienced, what is a "Handle"? I get little satisfaction when all the
WIL language reference manual says about handles is:

dialog-handle           The first parameter must be the dialog-handle passed as the first
parameter to your dialog procedure.

OR

Parameters:
(i) dialog-handle:       handle to dialog.

Anyway, if someone could point this rookie to a little more detail and simplified explanation of all this,
it would be greatly appreciated.

Frustrated in Frisco

td

Not sure why you are so preoccupied with dialog-handles but...  The term 'handle' does have a specific meaning the discipline of computer science but it is not something that needs to be obsessed over in the context of WIL dialogs.  All you really need to know is that a handle is passed to your dialog call back procedure and you in turn need to pass the handle to any Dialog* function you decide to use.  The functions that need you to pass a  dialog-handle to them are clearly identified as such in their respective documentation.  Now, there a some other interesting things you can use the dialog-handle for but you don't need to concern yourself with that for the kinds of relatively simple task you have describe.   

WinBatch provides the Dialog Editor to create your dialog template and WinBatch Studio will generate the basic user defined callback procedure for your dialog, if you chose to use one. Although you don't even need a callback if all you want to do is gather user selection for processing after the dialog is dismissed.  Instead of using a callback you could simply access the contents of the variables you associated with the controls in the template.   

The current incarnation of WIL dialog has been around and extensively used for over 14 years.  Along with the help file examples, there are literally hundreds of examples using dialogs both with and without callbacks in the Tech Database. The Tech Database also contains several dialog tutorials.  So I am not sure what else could be add to the wealth of information already available. 

Here is a link to one of the several Dialog tutorials in the Tech Database:

http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/nftechsupt.web+Tutorials+All~about~Dynamic~Dialogs~6.2.txt
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade