Double Click WBT file opens Winbatch Studio but not the WBT file itself

Started by sammy22222, March 22, 2016, 06:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammy22222

When I double click on a .wbt file, Winbatch Studio opens but then I still have to click the open button and select my WBT file.  Does anyone know why or how to fix this?

td

The WinBatch installer (setup.exe) associates the the "wbt" file extension with WinBatch.exe not WinBatch Studio.exe so at some point you have changed the association.  But in order to hopefully save some typing let's start by providing the version of WinBatch and Windows you are using.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

sammy22222

td

The simple solution may be to uninstall WinBatch and then reinstall it.  This should clean up the registry settings for you.  You could then use the Control Panel to change the file association to WinBatch Studio, if that is what you want.

The more complicated solution is the following:

You can got to Control Panel->Default Programs->Set Associations.  Wait until it loads the current associations.  Scroll down to .wbt, select it and press the 'Change program...' button.  Select 'More Options' and either choice  WinBatch from the list or choice Browse to find WinBatch.exe.    This should create the registry setting necessary to restore WinBatch as the default file for .wbt files.

If you want to keep WinBatch Studio as your default application things get a bit trickier.  Your problem is possibly the result of a bad command line setting in the registry.   The most direct route to correcting this problem is to start regedit.exe using the Windows Key + "r" key combination and navigate to the registry key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WinBatch Studio.exe\shell\open\command" and make sure the value is something like ""C:\Program Files (x86)\WinBatch\SYSTEM\WinBatch Studio.exe" "%1" or what ever the path is to your WinBatch install directory.  The key part is the "%1" which tells the Windows Shell to pass the file path+name you clicked on to WinBatch Studio.exe as the command line parameter.

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

sammy22222

Thank you, I checked my registry entry and it looked the same as what you said to look for.  After I noticed that, I started testing a little more and found out that the issue was trying to open a .wbt file from a mapped network drive.  If I double click on .wbt file from any other folder, it opens just fine.  It has something to do with the path of the mapped network drive I am guessing.  At least now that I know I can open from other folders, I can work around this by creating a shortcut to my mapped folder instead of using a mapped drive and that seems to do the trick.  Thanks again for helping put me on the right path, I have been trying to figure this out for months.

td

You should have mentioned that this was a problem specific to mapped drives or maybe I should have guessed and asked...  Please read the following Tech Database article:

http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/nftechsupt.web+WinBatch/UAC+Mapped~Drives~Issue~with~UAC.txt
  - Dr. Tom Cade

sammy22222

Thank you for the information!  I didn't realize it was a problem with mapped drives until today when I started testing further.