Changing restricted registry entries.

Started by mcvpjd3, August 06, 2014, 03:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcvpjd3

Need some expert advice on this.

I'm trying to change a registry key on our users PC. Its in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance\Boot. In order to edit the entry (BootMinorThreshold_Sec) I need to take ownership and write rights of the keys (from Diagnostics to Boot). I've found and application to do this called setacl.exe (http://helgeklein.com/setacl/).

So I wrote this script

computername=environment("COMPUTERNAME" )
setacl='"C:\Program Files\UB\Startuptimer\SetACL.exe"'
setaclp1=strcat('-on HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics -ot reg -actn setowner -ownr "n:',computername,'\Administrators"')
runhidewait(setacl,setaclp1)

Which worked....but I then needed to change the rights of the keys to allow administrators to change them so added the following lines

setaclp2=strcat('-on HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\Performance -ot reg -actn ace -ace "n:',computername,'\Administrators;p:full"')
runhidewait(setacl,setaclp2)

This doesn't work, but if I open an command prompt (elevated) the command above does work.

When compiling the exe I change the settings to requireAdministrator, run the EXE as administrator and no-joy.

I then changed the run command to:

runwithlogon(setacl,setaclp5,"",@normal,@wait,"administrator@MYPCNAME","","myadminpassword",0 )

and still no joy.

Can anyone suggest anything to help with this?

Thanks

Deana

Maybe try compiling the exe using requireAdministrator, run the EXE as administrator and try using ShellExecute to launch the SetACL.exe. I suggest ShellExecute because the shell sits in a much higher layer in the OS and consequently is able to take a dependency on elevation.
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

Deana

Alternatively you could use the Networking functions in WinBatch to handle this with out having to launch a separate process.

wntOwnerSet
Takes/sets ownership of an object.

wntAccessAdd
Adds or updates Discretionary Access Control List [DACL, a.k.a. permission] records for a resource.

Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

mcvpjd3

Yup, that worked perfectly, knew there was a reason I keep coming here for advice.

Thanks