Workspaces

Started by chrislegarth, January 15, 2019, 06:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrislegarth

I recently got a new computer at work and am migrating all my applications over to it.
Is there a way to copy/export/save Workspaces from WinBatch Studio and then import them back into WinBatch Studio?

Thanks!!!

td

First a disclaimer. I have never done all the below steps at one time but have done various parts for various reasons at different times.

If you navigate to C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\WinBatch\WBS\WorkSpaces, you will find one Workspace file with the file extension ".wbsconfig" for each Workspace you have created.  These files contain the xml descriptions of each project associated with each Workspace created in the WinBatch Studio project tree.  You can copy & paste those file to the same location on your new computer.  You would also need to copy all of the scripts and other files in your Workspaces to your new computer as well.   Being a bit on the paranoid side I generally do things like this using a USB flash drive as opposed to using network sharing but that is just me.

To get the rest of your WinBatch Studio settings, including recently used files for each workspace, you will need to export some registry settings.  Using Regedit or a script you need at the very least to export the registry key  "\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wilson WindowWare\WinBatch Studio\Workspace" and import it into the registry of your new computer.  The entries under this key tie your workspace xml files to WinBatch Studio workspaces, as well as, contain workspace tools and MRU lists.  All this should be done after you install WinBatch+Compiler on your new system but before you uninstall it from your old system.  Although not absolutely necessary, it would also be best to have all your scripts and related files migrated to your new computer first.

It may be better to just export the entire contents under "\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wilson WindowWare\WinBatch Studio" and import it to your new computer.   This will give your complete WinBatch Studio setup on the new system but it may also cause a few minor issues if the screen resolution, screen dimensions, or the number of monitors has changed from the old to new computer.

Of course, you should backup your registry before making any changes.

It sounds like a lot of work but my experience has been that these tasks go quickly.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

chrislegarth

Thanks Tony...your instructions worked perfectly!!!
My only concern was my Workspaces and since my scripts are located on a NAS, I didn't have to migrate anything first.

kdmoyers

Super useful info, I'm about to do the same thing!
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.