Load Hive with Windows 10

Started by hienpham, August 05, 2015, 02:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hienpham

Hi,
  With windows 8 and below, I used ntuser.dat file to do the load hive to modify the user profile:
          RegLoadHive(@REGUSERS,UserKey,ProfDir:UserKey:"\NTUSER.DAT")

Using the same command that works on Win8 on Win10 I got on RegLoadHive the error:
   1527           RegLoadHive: Sharing violation (specified file is in use)

The More Error Info gives us ERROR 32
Using the "!!Windows systems errors list" in WinBatch Tech Database, we know that Error 32 means:   
     32          The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.                     ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION

I could not find the NTUSER.DAT file in C:\Users\<userAccount>\ folder, as we always have with Win8.

Do you know where I can find that NTUSET.DAT on Win10?

Without NTUSER.DAT, how can we lmodify the profile of anther user?

Thanks

hienpham

To see the Ntuser.dat we have not only turn on the view of the hidden file but also the operating system files.

td

A simple and direct way to view the 'real' contents of a directory is to open a command prompt, cd to the directory, and use the 'dir' command with the '/a:h' switch.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

DAG_P6

Tony,

Quote from: td on August 05, 2015, 04:11:16 PM
A simple and direct way to view the 'real' contents of a directory is to open a command prompt, cd to the directory, and use the 'dir' command with the '/a:h' switch.

Yes, but the syntax of that switch is /ah. I use it and its brethren often, like at least once a week. Other useful modifiers are A for Archive bit set, which lists files that changed since the last full backup, and D for directory bit set, which causes the command to list only directories.
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.

td

Actually, either syntax works.  The dir commands documentation uses /a:h.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade