Media player monitor and control

Started by pnanna, August 31, 2015, 07:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnanna

Want to stream a network audio feed 24/7.
Currently using VLC Media player with good results.
Problem is that there are intermittent stream drops where the player quits playing the stream, although the app is still running while waiting for the stream to be reinitialized.
It will run for 3 days and then drop the stream, etc.
Don't know if it is the ISP or bandwidth problems, but would like a script for monitoring the VLC player to restart the stream if the stream gets dropped for whatever reason.
Maybe a way to monitor the audio output of the system and restart the stream if the audio goes away?
Thanks....

td

Unless your are extremely lucky and a forum member happens to have worked with scripting the VLC client, I don't think you are going to get an ready made, no work solution.   The VLC client comes with an ActiveX plugin that has a wealth of objects, methods and properties to choose from, including object methods like 'input.status'.  Most of the documentation has either Javascript or dotNet based examples that make it a little more difficult to translate into WIL scripts but it certainly is doable.  The WIL Type Viewer is a big help when exploring an unfamiliar ActiveX class or classes.  It should help you determine whether or not the ActiveX plugin supports what you are trying to do.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

pnanna

Thanks for the input...

We actually do not require VLC to be the media player, it's just what we are using now.
Any way to link a network audio stream and have it output through the audio out of a system will do the job.
The network stream just needs to play and be monitored for dropped packets, etc and recover as such.
Lately, I've setup the bios to reboot into win XP on a power fail situation which would require us to start the network streaming again upon reboot.
I'm pretty confident WIL can do these things, but am a newbie to the nomenclature and "patAtoe-patatoe" of many things.
Have BASIC programming experience along with some Arduino.
Thanks Again...