Time to Get 'schooled' again

Started by stanl, October 15, 2020, 12:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanl

This is leftover thought process from previous thread about moving text lines. The OP gave up on it, but looked like an opportunity for some more CLR research. Below script is kludged from the c# code I left off with on that thread. Script makes sense, but on the line oList.Add(s) I again get the 'non static-method  needs a target' error. Makes no sense and all googling shows that a list add() just adds something. Anyway, gave it a shot :-[  and text file attached.
Code (WINBATCH) Select

cFile = dirscript():"MV.txt"
cFile1 = dirscript():"MV1.txt"
If ! FileExist(cFile) Then Terminate(@TRUE,"Canceling: File Not Found",cFile)
ObjectClrOption("useany", "System")
ObjectClrOption("useany", "System.IO")
ObjectClrOption("useany", "System.Collections")

oFile = ObjectClrNew("System.IO.File")
oList = ObjectClrNew("System.Collections.IList")

lines = oFile.ReadAllLines(cFile)

Foreach s in lines
   oList.Add(s)
Next

cline = oList[4]
oList.RemoveAt(4)
oList.Insert(3, cline)
oFile.WriteAllLines(cFile1, oList.ToArray())

oFile=0
oList=0

Exit

JTaylor

Doesn't really answer your question but you could do something like:

Code (winbatch) Select

ObjectClrOption("useany", "System")
ObjectClrOption("useany", "System.IO")

oFile = ObjectClrNew("System.IO.File")

lines = oFile.ReadAllLines(cFile)

cur = lines[4]
lines[4] = lines[3]
lines[3] = cur
oFile.WriteAllLines(cFile1, lines)

oFile=0

Exit

td

The type "System.Collections.IList" exists both as a generic and an interface. The code you posted in the other thread is using the generic form and generics are not supported by WIL hosting.  The interface form requires creating a subclass dirived from the IList interface and you can't implement homegrown classes with WIL hosting without using the Framework's compiler on some inline C#.

Jim's solution seems like a much simpler option.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

td

For future reference, there is the "ArrayList" class.  Haven't used it but the class is a subclass of iList.  Something to keep in mind, I guess.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Quote from: td on October 15, 2020, 05:25:06 PM
For future reference, there is the "ArrayList" class.  Haven't used it but the class is a subclass of iList.  Something to keep in mind, I guess.

Thanks. Collections are fascinating.

stanl

I was expecting to have someone slip in with "you could do all this with WB array functions" - arrayfileget() etc... Something WB has the CLR is missing is arraysearch() which will return the index. Would make for an interesting script for

• move the line containing "Libertarian"
  • before the line containing "Are you" ;D

JTaylor

Probably would be easier with the Item...() functions.   Definitely no harder.   

Jim

stanl

Quote from: JTaylor on October 16, 2020, 07:24:53 AM
Probably would be easier with the Item...() functions.   Definitely no harder.   
Jim

Yes, but unless overlaid in classes like System.IO.File an index property does not exist. I've seen code where LINQ assemblies are introduced to make searchable lists but not worth the effort with my free time now.

[OFF-TOPIC]

I have an actual ask at work to modify header columns for ^ delimited ascii files being produced from multi-tab .xls files [you know, where the number of rows might be a million, but .xls can only support 65k rows so the output is a multi-tabbed .xls]

I will be using Powershell as their Get-Content returns an array like ReadAllLines()... simple on-liner.

JTaylor

Less useful in really large files but there is an index  :)

Code (winbatch) Select

lines = FileGet(cFile)

cur = ItemExtract(4,lines,@LF)
lines = ItemRemove(4,lines,@LF)
lines = ItemInsert(cur,4,lines,@LF)
FilePut(cFile1, lines)

stanl

I meant there was not an index property in the .net class. This could have all been accomplished with WB internal w/out CLR. I can see only limited reasons to consider a line move in the first place on a file of any size. Personally, I feel better knowing more about 'Non-static method requires a target' - at least until the next Presidential debate. And I hope they don't go into questions about masks - too much mask-debating for me.

JTaylor

Yep.   About time for people to come up with a new idea for some type of insane response.   The current ones are getting old.

Jim

stanl

It also pays to dig into the WB functions... :o
Code (WINBATCH) Select

lines = ArrayFileGet(cFile)
ArraySwapElements(lines, 4, 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0 )
ArrayFilePut(cFile1, lines)
Message("Moved",FileGet(cFile):@LF:@LF:FileGet(cFile1))

td

It appears that we need to the "ArraySwapElements" to the Forum's syntax coloring PHP script.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

oradba4u

Hmmm. Doesn't it seem funny that my topics end up getting so many comments/posts on them? So much so, that separate posts need to be started? Not only "Moving lines in a text file", but also "Scraping a website", "SQL Lite" and other posts... I didn't give up on it, as suggested... I just got tired of all the complaining that not enough information was provided.

I think contributors need to really evaluate what's being asked BEFORE making assumptions that not enough information was provided. Enough info was provided to generate a separate post! It appears my posts do generate thought and debate... I guess that's the definition of a forum:

a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

I'm through patting myself on the back... Thanks for all your posts, comments and help...

stanl

Quote from: oradba4u on October 26, 2020, 09:11:59 PM
I'm through patting myself on the back...

It is always nice to distinguish between a contributor and a do-nothing.