Windows 10 get version #

Started by morenos1, May 24, 2019, 07:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morenos1

How can I get the Windows 10 version number of the system?.  I can get the OS build (SP) but I need the version too.

Thanks....

td

What you are referring to as the OS build is part of the "real" version number of the Windows 10 release on the targetted system.  You can get that information with the WinVersion function using request 2.   I am not sure what you mean by the "(SP)".  If you mean "service pack", Windows 10 does not have service packs.

I suspect that you mean by "version number" is what MSFT calls the ReleaseID outside their UI widgets.  Of course, that information, like almost all other Windows setting, is in the registry.  The next version of WinBatch will have a new "level" code for the WinVersion function that will return the ReleaseID on Windows 10 systems.  In the interim, you can find it in the registry under the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" key.  The number is stored in the "ReleaseId" value.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

This is completely OFF-TOPIC:  but while speaking of versions, win10 says they will update to latest release, which was 1809. My daughter has win10 home and it was auto-updated. I have a surface-pro [3] and it is stuck on 1803. I have downloaded the update link and it continues to fail. My understanding is there is a Spring and Fall Release, but obviously who can get it is an issues.

td

Consider yourself lucky.  1809 is the buggiest version of Windows since the early versions of Windows 3.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade