Determining the Services Dependent on Another

Started by jtrask, October 29, 2015, 07:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtrask

I know I can use wntSvcCfgGet to determine a service's dependencies.  How can I determine its dependents?

td

You could spin through all the services checking for your service of interest among each services dependencies.   Or you could execute the  the 'sc enumdepend service-name-here' command using a cmd.exe instance and collect the output via one of several techniques available to WinBatch scripts and parse the output.  Or you could spin through the registry checking each service's 'DependOnService' value for the name of your service of interest.   Or you could use CLR hosting:

Code (winbatch) Select
ObjectClrOption('use',"System.ServiceProcess, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a")
objController = ObjectClrNew("System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController", "spooler") ; Spooler service as an example
aDependents = objController.DependentServices

strNames = ''
foreach objService in aDependents
    strNames := objService.DisplayName:@LF
    objService.Dispose()
next
objController.Dispose()

Message("Dependent Services", strNames)

I am sure there are other approaches as well.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

jtrask

That works great.  I'm especially pleased because I failed to mention in my original post that I can't use WMI - I'm working on something for systems with corrupted WMI repositories.

I'm fascinated by the concatenation you're using with the :=  I've used colons for concatenation, but for something like this, I've always used an ItemInsert or strNames = strNames : new text.