OT: Free software (Win XP) to read/print PDFs (not Adobe)

Started by snowsnowsnow, June 05, 2014, 11:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowsnowsnow

(Totally OT, of course - but, just out of curiosity, why don't we have an "off topic" forum here)

Anyway, I am ideologically opposed to Adobe products, but I need something that A) Runs on Windows (XP) and B) can read and print PDF files.

I used to use Nitro - which was very good, but they seem to have gone commercial and the old installer that I downloaded a long time ago doesn't work on the system on which I want to install it.  I suspect (but cannot prove) that it is some kind of expiration hack in the software.  When I run the installer, it seems to do the "unpack" step, but then ends.  The time honored hack of changing the system date didn't help.

Anyway, I've given up on Nitro.  I've Googled others and there are a lot of them, but I'm always a little leary about installing random junk from the Internet.  Can anyone recommend one that they have used and are happy with?

P.S.  Yes, this problem did arise in the context of my writing a WinBatch script, so maybe not completely, totally, OTââ,¬Â¦

kdmoyers

The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

stanl

Quote from: kdmoyers on June 06, 2014, 09:35:33 AM
we use Foxit
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/
no complaints.

I was going to suggest CutePDF and Ghostscript. Snow... did you want a PDF app that could be automated with WB or just a cheap alternative to Adobe?. I think there is a Foxit OCX freeware.