WB's EXCLUSIVE and ADO Queries

Started by stanl, September 07, 2014, 05:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanl

The WB docs state that EXCLUSIVE(@ON) will speed up WIL commands. Does anyone have any experience applying this to ADO queries/updates etc.., as technically I wouldn't consider them WIL commands.

td

The exclusive setting as a very small effect on functionality implemented within the WIL interpreter dll and on the time between lines in a script.  Other than a very slight improvement in the time between script lines that call COM methods or properties, it has no effect on functionality implemented externally like COM Automation object implementations.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Quote from: td on September 08, 2014, 06:33:49 AM
The exclusive setting as a very small effect on functionality implemented within the WIL interpreter dll and on the time between lines in a script.  Other than a very slight improvement in the time between script lines that call COM methods or properties, it has no effect on functionality implemented externally like COM Automation object implementations.

Thanks. I ran a small test over the weekend and EXCLUSIVE had no effect. The background of the question 1s a network compiled WB lookup application I maintain (basically a drop-down menu executing sub-dialogs and queries) which deals with Acces, Excel, SQL Server and MySQL - all using an ADODB.Connection/ADOBD.Recordset combination.  Many of the sub-dialogs permit selecting a date range and the original intent was previous day, maybe previous week, rarely MTD.... but lately users have asked for data over several months. 

It appears MySQL has a SELECT WITH HIGH PRIORITY option, and if Access or SQL Server were loaded I could reset the process priority, but ADO has no such option, and I normally have the connection and command timeouts either unlimited or very large. Using pass-through queries with ADO (something I brought up in an earlier post) doesn't appear to be a workable solution to speed things up.

Other than my "It will take more time the more data you ask for" response, WB has proved an excellent tool for the compiled app.