Control Type

Started by JTaylor, June 24, 2024, 07:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTaylor

Is there an direct way to retrieve the Control Type.  ie. PUSHBUTTON, EDITBOX, etc.   Such as a DialogControlGet() option?  If not, would like to request one.  Not sure why I haven't asked for this before (maybe I have?)???  I have need of it on a regular basis.  I know I can get it from the DialogControl variables but being able to request the value without having to loop through all the variables would be helpful.  Hoping I have just overlooked something.

Jim

td

Currently, it can't be done using DialogControlGet. The function has run out of 32-bit request bits. Adding more requires changing the implementation a bit. Not say that it can't or won't be done but that is not as trivial as it seems on the surface.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

kdmoyers

When I had this issue, I resolved to standardize the control names as I create the dialog, and then infer the type from that.  So, in my case, the first letter of the name indicates the type.
It actually worked fairly well.
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

JTaylor

Yes.  My WB_RAD app does that for me when it generates Control Names and is what I have used previously but I am working on things for other people to use so can't assume.  If I know the Dialog Variable Name, I can extract the info from the loaded variables.  Now if everyone was using WB_RAD like they should... ;-)

Would be handy having that as an option but I understand the problem Tony has run into.

Jim