FilmnSrv.exe

Started by George Vagenas, September 09, 2014, 11:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Vagenas

Does this file have anything to do with Winbatch.  I know from past discussions that Windows determines whether files or folders get a locking handle.  If this is a Winbatch program I'm curious as to what it does and why Windows would determine it needs a locking handle.
Thanks

George

td

The executable is no longer a part of the WinBatch FileMenu .  It was removed as of version 2014B.  It is like any other executable that functions as a COM server in that it is locked when it is in use by the system.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

George Vagenas

Sorry, I wasn't being clear.  Its not whether Windows has a lock on FilmnSrv.exe but that folders have a locking handle which points to it.  I'm in the process of renaming and moving a number of folders containing jpeg files.  Sometimes the rename fails, other times the move fails, but in both situations the lock points back to FilmnSrv.exe.  Do you think the changes to FileMenu in 2014B have may fixed this problem?
Thanks

George

td

Not enough is known to answer your question.  But assuming your evidence is valid, you have to be doing something to cause the system to 'lock' a file.  FileMenu doesn't randomly open files.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade