viewpoint-particle

Author Topic: What is the Future of Winbatch / IE / OLE Programming?  (Read 130 times)

mcjathan

What is the Future of Winbatch / IE / OLE Programming?
« on: September 09, 2019, 03:15:15 pm »
Unless I'm mistaken, Internet Explorer will be phased out (after Windows 10?).  If I've missed this conversation somewhere else in this forum, would someone please point me there?

Otherwise, what are fellow Winbatch users' plans to transition their Winbatch scripts to other browsers or tools?

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
Re: What is the Future of Winbatch / IE / OLE Programming?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 04:52:20 pm »
I have been experimenting with C# and the WebBrowser control.   Of course one can use that in WinBatch but it tends to lock up at times unless one initiates a Display(), Message(), etc. which isn't ideal and sometimes quite problematic.   With C# the DoEvents() clears the pipeline so things proceed.

Jim

td

• Tech Support
    • WinBatch
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:22 pm »
Unless I'm mistaken, Internet Explorer will be phased out (after Windows 10?).  If I've missed this conversation somewhere else in this forum, would someone please point me there?

Otherwise, what are fellow Winbatch users' plans to transition their Winbatch scripts to other browsers or tools?

Windows 10 isn going to be around for a while and Internet Explorer ( the executable Web browser) is going to be available in it according to the MSFT's IE product life cycle.  But that really isn't the point.  COM Automation and the HTTP/HTML/DOM COM Automation interfaces used in many WinBatch scripts is deeply embedded into the OS  so even if IE the browser goes away, MSFT isn't going to remove those objects and their interface unless they did something very radical like completely dumping Windows and switching to the Linux kernel. 

Given that MSFT's IE replacement, the Edge browser, uses Google's Chrome rendering engine already, I guess that isn't completely out of the realm of possibility but the loss of IE would be the least of the issues that kind of radical change would generate.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

• Tech Support
    • WinBatch
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 07:42:41 pm »
I have been experimenting with C# and the WebBrowser control.   Of course one can use that in WinBatch but it tends to lock up at times unless one initiates a Display(), Message(), etc. which isn't ideal and sometimes quite problematic.   With C# the DoEvents() clears the pipeline so things proceed.

Jim

Using Display or Message to "clear the pipeline" was an old kludge that should no longer be necessary.  If you can provide an example that requires that approach we will look into it.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 07:48:14 pm »
Maybe I need to go back and try again???   I think I switched everything that had that problem to automate IE directly so as to avoid such issues.   Will let you know if I see that again.  Thanks.

Jim