windowraise?

Started by snowsnowsnow, September 16, 2024, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowsnowsnow

Here's something interesting.  In at least one other window manager system that I use (one not made by MS), there is a functionality called "windowraise" - that raises a window (makes it visible, regardless of how deep down in the window stack/mess it may have been) without giving it the focus (keyboard/mouse).  AFAICT, there's no function to do this in WB.

I figured out a workaround.  If you give a window "stays on top", then (immediately thereafter) take it away, then it will effectively raise it (w/o giving it the focus).  Like this:

mywinid = WinIdGet("Some Window title")
IntControl(54,mywinid,1,0,0)
IntControl(54,mywinid,0,0,0)

So, my questions are:
1) Is this the approved way?
2) Is there a better way?

td

You have concocted a clever way to move a window to the top of the Z-order. Of course, WinBatch now has the WindowOnTop function which offers the same functionality as the IntControl 54.  Off the top, I cannot think of a better solution.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

spl

Quote from: td on September 17, 2024, 06:52:23 AMOff the top, I cannot think of a better solution.

Power Toys [I couldn't resist]
Stan - formerly stanl [ex-Pundit]

snowsnowsnow

What is Power Toys?  (some 3rd party app/tool?)

kdmoyers

The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

td

I use Power Toys apps regularly. For a change, MSFT mostly got the app collection right. Of course, it is only supported on Windows 10/11 in its latest iteration.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

snowsnowsnow

Quoteonly supported on Windows 10/11 in its latest iteration.

Thus of absolutely no value or interest to me.

Not that I care much, since nobody wants to talk about it here, but are older versions still available for download?

td

Archived versions are available back to early 2022, but that doesn't help you. I am not aware of any earlier versions than 2022 being available. But I haven't conducted an extensive Web search either.
  - Dr. Tom Cade